Many parents who experience depression or anxiety worry about whether they should talk with their children about their illness and how much they should say.
The fact is that symptoms of depression or anxiety can influence how you think, feel, act and communicate. Other family members (particularly children) can be confused with what they see and hear. In the case of young people, they may not understand what’s happening, and may make up their own reasons for your behaviour.
Talking about mental illness as a family can help everyone make sense of what’s going on. In fact, research has proven that open family discussion bolsters family strength and also build a child’s resilience to developing mental health problems of their own.
For this reason, the COPMI national initiative have developed these ‘Family Focus’ videos to help you start the conversation about depression and anxiety with your child and family.
Here’s how to get your copy:
- Just click on “Claim now” above
- Click on Order paper copy
- Select Family The ‘Family Focus’ DVD
- Check out
- Enter your personal details, Address
- Check box for “I would like to receive email updates from COPMI”
- Check box for I would like to receive email updates from the Australian Infant Child Adolescent & Family Mental Health Association.
- Click Confirm order to finish the request
So send in your request today.